Voices of Roosevelt

The Student News Site of Roosevelt High School

Voices of Roosevelt

Voices of Roosevelt

Besbris’ Picks: Lisa Frankenstein

Being an abnormal teenage girl is hard enough, the feeling of being so different in an already challenging and stressful time.. But do you know what makes it harder? Being in love with a dead guy. This is the life of my new favorite campy horror main character, Lisa Frankenstein. Spoilers ahead (only a few this time!)

Lisa Frankenstein is the newest 80’s themed cult classic that will definitely not be appreciated enough for at least five years. This movie has such an incredible way of mixing the real experience of being a teenage girl who’s out of place with the rest of her peers, yet still embracing that zany absurdist horror comedy that we rarely see anymore. Kathryn Newton – the actress who plays Lisa – embodies the eerie yet endearing persona of Lisa, and she reminds me of a lovable and unpredictable muppet (which I mean as a true compliment and with so much love). Cole Sprouse is the best silent co-star you could expect, he adds so much rich body language to the creature and makes scenes filled with fun banter, with no words on his end. The entire cast commits everything they have and makes me feel like I know each character personally.

Unfortunately Lisa Frankenstein has not impacted many film critics and reviewers the same way it impacted me, with many reviews bashing this new addition to Frankenstein media. I do have to admit the movie wasn’t perfect, but I personally don’t think you should start any movie (especially if you plan to review it) with the mindset that the movie you’re about to watch is going to be perfect. At times this movie had pacing issues and the occasional dry moment, but considering Zelda Williams, (and yes her father has confirmed she’s named after the video game series), is a new director, this is to be expected.

I’ve noticed a significant rise in popularity for comedy based horror movies that give a campy feel. For example Totally Killer, a movie that’s also set in the 80’s and follows the theme of less than amazing quality and humor. But there is a certain love for these types of movies, for the older crowd its nostalgia for the movies that came out in their childhood/teenhood. For the youth of today, we get to look back into history, we get to momentarily experience the authenticity of older media where there was very little “polishing” like there is with movies today.

Overall I have I a new and very deep love for Lisa Frankenstein, and as a certified Frankenstein by Mary Shelley enjoyer, this is certainly one of my favorite additions to the Frankenstein Cinematic Universe. Yes this move is no Poor Things, but that’s what makes this campy, soon to be cult classic, so incredible and authentic. I give this movie 5/5 stars and will be recommending it to everyone I know and now I recommend it to you as well.