Voices of Roosevelt

The Student News Site of Roosevelt High School

Voices of Roosevelt

Voices of Roosevelt

Theatre in Our Schools Month

Every March, Thespians all around the country come together to celebrate Theatre in Our Schools Month. A month we dedicate to the celebration of students’ love of theatre. This month is often marked by shows, spirit weeks, social media takeovers, and so much more. At the end of March or the beginning of April, Thespians from all over the country will then participate in their state festivals where they can attend workshops, auditions for colleges, see full-length plays, compete in competitions, and meet other Thespians from all over their state!

Roosevelt High School’s Troupe 7289 participates every year in Theatre in Our Schools Month by performing their spring show. This year, that show was the Addams Family Musical which was performed Feb 23rd – Mar 2nd. Roosevelt Thespians also like to mark this month with fun theatre trivia and sometimes, a student showcase. 

Theatre in Our Schools is so much more than an extracurricular activity. It’s a community built by people who all enjoy expressing their creativity in a similar way. Students get to come together across grade levels, race, gender identity and so much more to tell stories and create art to share with the rest of their school community. 

As someone who has been an inducted member of Troupe 7289 since my sophomore year, I see first hand the impact theatre has had on me and my growth as a person. The people I have met in theatre have hands down changed my life. From Roosevelt’s amazing theatre teacher and director, Jo Lane, to the other students that I am so lucky to call my friends. This year, I’m serving as my troupe’s Vice President and have spent the past few weeks planning 7289’s Theatre in Our School’s month celebrations which will include a theatre-themed spirit week, fun fact posters hung around the school, and an Addams Family Musical Cast party. 

As a troupe, 7289 aims to bring more and more people into the theatre community and create a place where all feel welcome. We hope you will join Troupe 7289 in celebrating theatre now and always!